Menu Close
Sub Menu

Honorary Fellows & Visiting Professors

See below for information on our Honorary Fellows and Visiting Professors: 

Visiting Professor: John Haldane

Professor John Haldane

Professor John Haldane is a Visiting Professor in the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues. Professor Haldane is Professor of Philosophy at the University of St. Andrews and is the 2013-2014 Mary Ann Remick Senior Research Fellow at the Notre Dame Center for Ethics and Culture. He is also Director of the Centre for Ethics, Philosophy and Public Affairs at the University of St. Andrews and has held fellowships at the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Pittsburgh. He recently gave a paper at the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues' 2nd annual conference 'Can Virtue be Measured' held in January 2014.  The full paper can be viewed here.

Research Interests 

• Central issues in philosophy of mind: intentionality, the nature of concepts, the ownership of thoughts, action explanation, physicalism, reductionism, and the nature of persons.
  • The history of philosophy: most particularly the medieval period (especially Aquinas) and the influence of scholasticism in metaphysics, philosophy of mind, and value theory; and eighteenth century responses to scepticism (especially Reid).
  • Theoretical and normative issues in social and political philosophy, ethics and aesthetics: including liberalism (its varieties and rivals), the nature and justification of education, the (im)permissibility of killing; and the natural and built environments.
  • Artistic, educational, and theological issues: approached through the methods of those disciplines rather than through philosophy. For example, the role and forms of art and spiritual education, the sources and function of doctrine. 

Selected Publications 

'Reasoning about the human good, and the role of the public philosopher', Haldane, J. J. (2013) In: Reason, Morality and Law: The philosophy of John Finnis. Keown, J. & George, R. P. (eds.). 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 37-55

'Educational Studies and the Map of Philosophy', Haldane, J. J. (2012) In : British Journal of Educational Studies. 60, 1, p. 3-15 

'Is Every Action Morally Significant?', Haldane, J. J. Jul (2011) In : Philosophy. 86, 3, p. 375-404 

'Is God Necessary for Morality?: An exchange with Raimond Gaita', Haldane, J. J. (2011) Truth and Faith in Ethics. Ramsay, H. (ed.). Exeter: imprint-academic, p. 252-256, 262, 264, 266-7, 269 (St Andrews Studies in Philosophy and Public Affairs). 

Honorary Fellow: John Upton

Honorary Senior Research Fellow: John Upton

John Upton is a criminal barrister (pupillage at Chambers of Jonathan Goldberg QC) who has appeared for both the prosecution and defence in the Magistrates and Crown Court. John works as Counsel: Audits and Investigations at Baker Hughes, a top-tier oilfield service company, where John is responsible for conduct of FCPA / UK Bribery Act / Fraud internal investigations on a global basis but with particular emphasis on CIS and the Middle East. John is also responsible for conduct of anti – corruption audits globally and is involved with ethics and compliance policy development and training.

John was previously a lawyer with the Financial Services Authority as FSA criminal policy lead, Counsel to the FSA Report into the failure of the Royal Bank of Scotland and as an enforcement lawyer, specialising in Insider Dealing and Market Abuse cases.

John has contributed to The Times, The Guardian and the Daily Telegraph and is a contributor to the London Review of Books. John was called to the Bar in 1995 from the Inns of Court School of Law and is a member of Middle Temple. He taught constitutional and public law to undergraduates at LSE and was awarded the LSE Graduate teaching prize for 2007.

E: johndominicupton@googlemail.com

Honorary Professor: Sir Anthony Seldon

Professor Sir Anthony Seldon

In September 2014, Sir Anthony Seldon was awarded an Honorary Professorship by the University of Birmingham. Professor Sir Seldon has worked with the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues extensively and delivered the Priestley Lecture in the School of Education in January 2013. As a strong advocate for character education he asserts that academic attainment is a natural result in schools which have a focus on engendering good character amongst pupils.

Honorary Research Fellow: Dr. David Walker

Dr. David Walker works on the Jubilee Centre’s Soldiers of Character project as an Honorary Research Fellow. The project examines character and virtue among British soldiers and officers.  David previously worked as a Research Fellow in the Centre between September 2012 and December 2016, leading on the Character Education in UK Schools project during this time.

Identity, character, families and education have formed the focus of David’s academic work since 2007, using quantitative and qualitative methods in equal measure. In 2010 he completed a PhD in Sociology and Social Policy at Durham University before moving to the USA to work at Purdue University, Indiana, in the Human Development and Family Studies Department.

David is currently a Vice Chancellors Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Social Work, Education & Community Wellbeing at Northumbria University. 

Honorary Research Fellow: Dr Blaire Morgan

Dr. Blaire Morgan works on the Jubilee Centre’s Influence of Parents and the Media project as an Honorary Research Fellow, examining the influence of parents and the media on people’s perceptions of virtue. She is particularly interested in how virtue and values can be measured and to this end her research also aims to examine the relationship between implicit and explicit measures of virtue. The goal here is to investigate how (or whether) we can objectively measure attitudes to virtue and whether implicit/explicit measurements can predict actual behaviour.

Previously, Blaire worked as a Research Fellow in the Centre, focussing on the Attitude for Gratitude project 2012-2015, which centred on gratitude, and examined how gratitude is understood, experienced and valued in the UK.

More recently, Blaire has been working with Dr Liz Gulliford on a cross-cultural examination of gratitude with the University of Melbourne (funded by the Society for Educational Studies). She has also led in the testing and development of a new measure of gratitude; the Multi-Component Gratitude Measure (MCGM). Her work can be seen in journals such as the Journal of Moral Education and the Journal of Positive Psychology and has appeared on BBC radio and ITV news.

Blaire is currently a Senior Lecturer in Psychology (Institute of Health and Society) at the University of Worcester.